Thiagarajar Polytechnic College is
the first aided polytechnic of the country, which was specially
sanctioned by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the first prime minister of
India. It was started by Late. Dr. Alagappa Chettiar, a great
Educationalist and philanthropist, during 1956, with 30 students in
civil branch. Next year students were admitted in Mechanical and
Electrical branches also.After the death of Dr.Alagappa Chettiar,the
institution were taken over by K.Thiagarajan Chettiar, Madurai during
the year 1961. Mr. E.K.Menon was Principal. In 1971 Shri. E.K.Menon
retired voluntarily and Shri. N.Bavindranathan took over Principal
charge. After the death of shri. K.Thiagarajan, Shri. Manickavasagam was
the chairman of the Governing council. The students performance were
very high during these years. There was a set of very dedicated staff
also who involved in all student activities.
During 1979-80, the Institution
was selected by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of
India, to non formal short courses are being conducted under this
scheme. During 1980-81, the Thrissur Diocesan Community Development
Society, Trissur, under the Patron ship of the Arch Bishop of Thrissur
were interested in taking over management. In 1980~81, the transfer of
Management was finalised, and Shri. Francis C.Joseph become Principal in
place of Shri.N.Ravindranathan. The transfer of Management was
completed and Rev. Fr. Joseph Kakkassery became the Chairman of the
Governing Council. In 1996 Rev. Fr. Lawrence Olakkangil took change as
Chairman. Shri. Francis. C. Joseph retired and Smt. U.N.Devayani was
Principal for 3 years from 1996~1999, followed by Shri. T.Peethambaran
for one year. Since April 2000 Shri. K.K.Sahadevan Civil section is the
Principal of the Institution. The present intake of student in Civil,
Mechanical and Electrical branches is 70 each and staff strength comes
to 90. N.C.C., N.S.S. and continuing Education cell etc. are functioning
well. The P.T.A in providing possible helps for the student development
activities. The Institution maintains good result always compared to
other polytechnics in the state. Many old students of the institution
are working in various parts of the world. They can spotted very clearly
by their dedication to work, individual thinking, honesty and kind
attitude towards others. Any product of Thiagarajar Polytechnic will
remember their mother Institution with reverence. They will always be
united with a strong bond with the institution.
Dr.Alagappa Chettiyar was a well known business man and a social worker.He came to kerala for
running his new company named Alagappanager Textails.And started the
institution for the higher studies of his employees childrens in
1956.The great man passed away in 1957..leaving back the great and
loving memmories and his foot printes.Here he lives still with us,with
in our heart as a guiding star.
In 1956 Dr.Alagappa Chettiyar started the institution for the further studies of the Employee Childrens.The College was inagurated by Kerala state Gov advicer Mr. P.S Ro ICS.In the begining days Its started working in the Mill buildings and the Ravi Varma Hospital Buildings offering Engineering Diploma in CIVIL with 30 students.In 1957 the institution came under Borad of Technical Education Kerala State and got two more new branches.. Electrical and Mechanical.The same year the foundation for the new building was laid.After the departure of beloved Dr.Alagappa Chettiyar in 1957 the institution came under the Alagappa Chettiyar Education trust.In 1961 Alagappa Chettiyar Education trust handed over the institution to Madurai Thiagarajar Educational Trust.In 1961 Thiagarajar Polytechnic came in to history pages.In 1980 Thrissur Diocesan Development Society taken over the charge of the intitution with Mr.Manikka Vasu as chairman.The institution was under this management from 1980 to 1992.After the payment agreement between Kerala State Gov: and Management in 1992 the institution came under Thrissur Diocesan Community Development Society.In 1996 Rev.Fr.Lawrence Olekkengal taken charge and he is the chairman of the institution from 1996 onwards.
Arch Bishop, His Grace Mar.Andrews Thazhath assumed the coveted position of patron of the college.
Rev.Msgr.Thomas Kakkassery took over as Chairman of governing Council in 2016.
*Designated as Superintendent